This is a very dense, pudding-like cake with a really chocolaty flavor. This is just great with a big spoon of whipped or even sour cream too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Generously grease a 9-2-inch springform pan.
- 3Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease.
- 4Wrap the bottom and sides with foil to prevent water from seeping through in cooking In a saucepan, over low heat, melt the chocolate, butter and sugar, stirring frequently until smooth.
- 5Remove from the heat, cool slightly and stir in the brandy or liqueur In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly for 1 minute.
- 6Beat in the flour, the slowly beat in the chocolate mixture until well blended.
- 7Pour into the pan. Place the springform pan in a large roasting pan.
- 8Add enough boiling water to come 3/4 inch up the side of the springform pan.
- 9Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edge of the cake is set but the center is soft.
- 10Remove the springform pan from the oven and remove the foil.
- 11Cool on a cooling rack.
- 12The cake will sink in the center and have it's classic slim form and it cools.
- 13Don't worry if the top cracks slightly Remove the sides of the springform pan and turn the cake onto a wire rack.
- 14Lift the pans base off and carefully peel the parchment paper off the bottom of the cake.
- 15Leave the cake on the rack until it cools completely.
- 16Cut 6 strips of parchment paper 1-inch wide and place the randomly over the cake.
- 17Dust with the powdered sugar, then carefully remove the paper.
- 18Slide the cake onto a serving platter and serve with the whipped or sour cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.1
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 154.5 mg
- Sodium 165.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 3.4 g