Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very dense, pudding-like cake with a really chocolaty flavor. This is just great with a big spoon of whipped or even sour cream too.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease a 9-2-inch springform pan.
- Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease.
- Wrap the bottom and sides with foil to prevent water from seeping through in cooking In a saucepan, over low heat, melt the chocolate, butter and sugar, stirring frequently until smooth.
- Remove from the heat, cool slightly and stir in the brandy or liqueur In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly for 1 minute.
- Beat in the flour, the slowly beat in the chocolate mixture until well blended.
- Pour into the pan. Place the springform pan in a large roasting pan.
- Add enough boiling water to come 3/4 inch up the side of the springform pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edge of the cake is set but the center is soft.
- Remove the springform pan from the oven and remove the foil.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
- The cake will sink in the center and have it's classic slim form and it cools.
- Don't worry if the top cracks slightly Remove the sides of the springform pan and turn the cake onto a wire rack.
- Lift the pans base off and carefully peel the parchment paper off the bottom of the cake.
- Leave the cake on the rack until it cools completely.
- Cut 6 strips of parchment paper 1-inch wide and place the randomly over the cake.
- Dust with the powdered sugar, then carefully remove the paper.
- Slide the cake onto a serving platter and serve with the whipped or sour cream.