Recipe by FloridaGrl
A wonderful chocolate cake with rum glaze and chocolate ganache fillings. Great for chocoholics! Time does not include cooling time. NOTE: It's supposed to be one cup of cold, strong brewed coffee.
Top Review by Dine & Dish
I tried this recipe from the June/July 2007 issue of Taste of Home magazine. This is a DELICIOUS cake! The whipped cream frosting is the perfect compliment to the chocolate cake. I wish the rum glaze flavor was stronger throughout the cake, but that is a minor complaint! This was fantastic!
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 473.18 ml brown sugar, packed
- 2 egg yolks
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 6 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
- 236.59 ml strong coffee
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml salt
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml milk
- 59.14 ml butter, cubed
- 4.92 ml rum extract
- 236.59 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 59.14 ml milk
- 226.79 g carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate curls (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 350. Line two greased 9 inches round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in chocolate and coffee. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk (batter will be thick).
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, milk and butter to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in extract.
- Invert cakes onto wire racks; drizzle with glaze. Cool completely. In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips with milk; stir until smooth. Refrigerate until spreadable, stirring occasionally.
- Place one cake on a serving platter; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake. Spread whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Granish with chocolate curls.