Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
A wonderful chocolate cake with rum glaze and chocolate ganache fillings. Great for chocoholics! Time does not include cooling time. NOTE: It's supposed to be one cup of cold, strong brewed coffee.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate curls (optional)
- Preheat oven at 350. Line two greased 9 inches round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in chocolate and coffee. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk (batter will be thick).
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, milk and butter to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in extract.
- Invert cakes onto wire racks; drizzle with glaze. Cool completely. In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips with milk; stir until smooth. Refrigerate until spreadable, stirring occasionally.
- Place one cake on a serving platter; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake. Spread whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Granish with chocolate curls.
I tried this recipe from the June/July 2007 issue of Taste of Home magazine. This is a DELICIOUS cake! The whipped cream frosting is the perfect compliment to the chocolate cake. I wish the rum glaze flavor was stronger throughout the cake, but that is a minor complaint! This was fantastic!