Recipe by TasteTester
I am a real fan of making soups/stews and then freezing them for later use. This is a prize-winning recipe from a recent Better Homes & Gardens magazine and I am going to make it next time I'm into one of my marathon cooking days.
- 4 cups button mushrooms or 4 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 14 1⁄2 ounces can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, thinly and diagonally sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red potatoes, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup pitted ripe black olives, cut in half
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence or 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1 3/4 to 2 lb. total)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 14 ounces jar pasta sauce (depending on your preference) or 1 (16 ounce) jar alfredo sauce (depending on your preference)
- French bread (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5 to 6- quart slow cooker combine mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, carrots, onion, potato, green beans, olives, broth, wine, tapioca, herbes de Provence, thyme and pepper. Place chicken on top; sprinkle with seasoned salt. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6-7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in pasta sauce. If desired, serve with French bread.