Recipe by justcallmetoni
A wonderful recipe for chicken featuring balsamic vinegar. What sets this apart from others is the surprise inclusion of that distinctly American condiment, catsup. Together these create a delicious sweet and sour combination. This Cooking Light inspired dish is just 4 points per serving. For Core followers, count 1/2 point per serving for the wine or substitute with additional broth.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Terrific chicken! I used the s/b thighs. The sweetness from the ketchup balances the balsamic vinegar. Tarragon makes it even better! I completely forgot to add the 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes, but it really is just finr without them. Thanx for a great new lowfat chicken recipe!
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions (a sweet onion such as Vidalia or Oso Sweet would be especially good)
- 8 (3 ounce) boneless skinless chicken thighs or 4 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons catsup
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 dash black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to a large nonstick skillet and add onions.
- Cook the onions for 4 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Apply small amount of cooking spray and cook another minute or two until there is some browning and carmelization.
- Add chicken and sauté each side 3 minutes or until browned.
- Combine wine and remaining ingredients (wine through black pepper) in a medium bowl; stir well.
- Add wine mixture to chicken mixture and cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken over.
- If you like a thick sauce, remove cover and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Otherwise return cover and simmer an additional 5 minutes.