Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a good dish to use when entertaining because you can get everything ready ahead of time and then stick it in the oven at the appropriate time with nothing to do but baste a few times during the cooking. It is also a "beautiful" dish when prepared and garnished with the orange slices. It appears to have taken a lot more effort than exerted.
- 3 whole chicken breasts, split
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- paprika (optional)
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced (optional)
- Place chicken breasts, skin-side up, on broiler pan and broil 2 inches from heat for 10 minutes or until skin is browned.
- Place chicken in casserole.
- Sprinkle with salt, onion, mushrooms and green pepper.
- Combine orange juice, water, Sherry, flour, brown sugar, orange rind, salt and pepper in saucepan; blend well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and bubbles.
- Add parsley; pour over chicken.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Baste several times during baking.
- Sprinkle with paprika; garnish with orange slices, if desired.