11 hrs 30 mins
This recipe calls for a stewing hen...but if you can't find one, use a regular whole chicken. This recipe lives up to its billing and makes such a good dish out of a poorish bird that the old girl is still an acceptable morsel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs stewing chicken or 5 lbs regular whole chickens
- 1/4 cup hot butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tart apples, pared, cored and sliced
- 6 chopped celery ribs, with leaves
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon or 1 tablespoon basil
- parmesan cheese
- 1Wash and cut up chicken.
- 2Sear the pieces in the hot butter.
- 3Add the wine.
- 4Remove the chicken from the pot.
- 5To the pot add the apples, celery, onion, parsley, salt and paprika.
- 6Cover and cook gently until tender.
- 7Stir in flour and chicken stock.
- 8Cook and stir the sauce until it boils.
- 9Add the chicken, cover and simmer until tender 1 hour or more.
- 10Remove chicken to a hot ovenproof serving dish.
- 11Strain the sauce and warm over hot water.
- 12Add the sour cream, salt & pepper.
- 13Add tarragon or basil.
- 14Pour sauce over the chicken and sprinkle generously with the parmesan.
- 15Place it under the broiler until the cheese is melty.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Casserole Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (555 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 919.9
- Calories from Fat 620
- Total Fat 68.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 226.4 mg
- Sodium 676.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 51.9 g