Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This another of my mom's recipes. My brother hated pea soup, but out of desperation tried it one day. He now makes it himself.
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Rinse peas.
- In heavy pot mix peas, ham bone, onion, salt, pepper and onion with 8 cups of water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 1 ½ hours stirring often.
- Remove ham bone from heat and chop meat.
- Return meat to pot, add vegetables and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add cooked crumbled bacon, cream and butter.
- Heat through and serve.
very good! I did want to lower the fat so I used low fat milk which could have been skipped completely because I do enjoy this thick. I didn`t use the Bouillon because my ham had plenty of meat to flavor the soup. I didn`t use the bacon and butter. I found this very comforting good and healthy! Thanks!