Recipe by pink cook
I posted this recipe for Dreamer in Ontario and she liked it, so here it is for you enjoy it, too.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 4 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup rice
- 1 inner pack saltines (optional) or 1 Ritz cracker, crushed (optional)
- 5 slices of toasted bread, cut in cubes (optional)
- water (1 inch on bottom of pan) or broth (1 inch on bottom of pan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients in large pan except crackers. Cook on medium heat until meat is well cooked, approximately one hour stirring occasionally, so it will not stick to bottom of pan. Add 1 ladle of turkey drippings.
- Simmer for 20 minutes and drain 3/4 of liquid from pan. Add rice (or crushed crackers or bread cubes instead of the rice) until the rest of liquid is absorbed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store the stuffing in refrigerator overnight to get more flavor and then stuff the turkey.
- NOTE: Dreamer in Ontario wrote:.
- "I think that pinkie kookie's recipe sounds close if I use rice in place of the bread and/or crackers.".
- I wrote: "Your idea of adding rice instead of the crackers and bread is excellent, Dreamer in Ontario. That is what the recipes are for, to add our own ingredients and ideas. Enjoy it.".