Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Got this from the FoodNetwork site, this is for the Canadian part of the Zaar World Tour. Have not made yet, but looks yummy!
- 453.59 g small white pea beans
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 9.85 ml ground black pepper
- 236.59-473.18 ml pure maple syrup, plus more if desired
- 149.68 g salt pork
- Pour the beans onto a plate, and pick-over looking for bad beans, or stones. Place beans in bowl, cover with water by at least 2 inches, and soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Drain beans and place in 4-quart bean pot. Add onion, dry mustard, pepper, salt, and maple syrup. Add water to cover. Cut salt pork into 1-inch pieces and place on top of beans. Bake covered, approximately 8 hours. Check each hour to see if water needs to be added. You can add more maple syrup in place of water for flavor, if desired.
- Serve the beans with brown bread, franks, or ham. For breakfast, serve with eggs, bacon, and home-fries.
Best Baked Beans Ever. I made them for friends and they loved them
Delicious! I used navy beans and halved the recipe, except not the bacon. I also didn't want to run my oven for that long, so I put this in the crock pot on high for 4 1/2 hours (after frying and crumbling the bacon of course.) This works great in the crock pot, which makes it a very handy recipe for me. Thanks!
This was wonderful! I'm used to Maine Yellow Eyes & Molasses/brown sugar. These beans were so delicate & yummy.