- 1 lb small white pea beans
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 -2 cup pure maple syrup, plus more if desired
- 1⁄3 lb salt pork
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the beans onto a plate, and pick-over looking for bad beans, or stones. Place beans in bowl, cover with water by at least 2 inches, and soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Drain beans and place in 4-quart bean pot. Add onion, dry mustard, pepper, salt, and maple syrup. Add water to cover. Cut salt pork into 1-inch pieces and place on top of beans. Bake covered, approximately 8 hours. Check each hour to see if water needs to be added. You can add more maple syrup in place of water for flavor, if desired.
- Serve the beans with brown bread, franks, or ham. For breakfast, serve with eggs, bacon, and home-fries.