Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Copied from a cookbook from the library.
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat all ingredients except bread and cheeses to boiling in a 4 quart Dutch oven; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Set oven control to broil.
- Pour soup into 6 oven-proof bowls or casseroles.
- Top each with 1 slice toast; sprinkle with Swiss and Parmesan cheeses.
- Broil soup with tops 3 to 4 inches from heat until cheese is melted and light brown, 1 to 2 minutes.