Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I don't have many breakfast recipes - I tend to be a Quaker Oats guy in the morning, but here's a recipe that's nice for leisurely weekend mornings.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 3 eggs
- additional oil (for frying)
- additional powdered sugar
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Combine water, milk, oil, and peel and bring to a boil.
- Add the flour all at once and beat until a ball forms.
- Remove from heat and beat in eggs.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Fry spoonfuls of batter for 4-6 minutes; when done, drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Between batches, give the oil several minutes to get up to full heat; this makes the puffs much less oily.
We use these for breakfasts, brunches and also for dessert - they're delicious dipped in hot fudge!