Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is made in the bread machine and baked in the oven. Follow your bread machine directions. If you don't have a french bread setting just remove dough from the machine before the final rising stage and shape as directed.
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fast-rising active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- Add water to the machine following with the rest of the ingredients as listed. Be sure not to have the salt (place salt in a corner)and yeast touch.
- Use the french bread setting press start.
- When the dough cycle has finished remove dough from machine place it on a floured work surface. Punch down divide into 2.
- Start with one rolling into 7-8 X 3 inches. Fold one third up lenghtwise and one third down then press. Repeat twice more letting the dough rest in between foldings.
- Gentle roll and stretch each piece to 11-13 inch loaf. Place loaf on a lightly floured bread pan so it will keep its shape while rising. Cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap and rise for 30-45 minutes in a warm place.
- Slash tops with a sharp knife. Place into a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes. In a pan below add a hand full of ice cubes. Bake until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack and cool.
WOW!!! This is wonderful!!! We had it for dinner last night and LOVED it!!! Im a Garlic-a-holic and this hit the spot!! I actually used 2 T roasted garlic for a little bit more of a kick LOL THanks for another great recipe!!
We absolutely loved this, and it couldn't be easier! I even had to go about things the old-fashioned way; the paddle for my bread machine was missing so I prepared the dough by hand and it was still easy peasy. The texture of this bread is really lovely. I used half whole-wheat flour and it didn't become dense and chewy as others will. The loaves were a decent size, too, and I was able to pop the leftovers into the freezer to pull out with dinner a few nights later. It froze beautifully! Thanks, Rita. Made for Veg Swap 36.
Wonderful! Used 2 tablespoons of Crock Pot Roasted Garlic and regular yeast. Bread was beautiful, with a nice brown crust and perfectly soft texture inside. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!