1/4 Photos of French Bread Rolls
5 hrs 25 mins
Source: "Fine Cooking" This is one of my recently adopted recipes. I prepared it and it is wonderful. The end result are rolls with a crispy crust and soft chewy center. I always add wheat gluten when adding the flour. This produces a superior quality of bread so I am including it in the list of ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups water, 70 degrees
- 1 1/4 ounces nonfat dry milk powder, 1/2 cup
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons wheat gluten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- black pepper, to taste (I added 1 teaspoon coarse ground.)
- 1 cup rye flour
- coarse salt, for sprinkling
- 1Dissolve yeast in mixer with water.
- 2Add melted butter, sugar, dry milk, salt and pepper.
- 3Whisk to incorporate.
- 4Add 4 cups of flour and mix with dough hook.
- 5Add additional flour until dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- 6Knead dough by hand with a little flour until it is smooth and elastic Let rise in greased bowl, covered for about 2 hours until doubled.
- 7At this point the dough can be refrigerated overnight or for 2 days.
- 8Bring to room temperature before shaping.
- 9Punch down and let rise until doubled again, about 2 hours.
- 10Shape into 3 oz rolls, let rise covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 11Sprinkle with rye (or all purpose) flour, slash with lame quite deeply, sprinkle with salt.
- 12Bake at 450 for 20-25 minutes (throw 1/4 cup ice water onto bottom of oven as soon as rolls are put in or spray sides of oven with cold water), reduce heat to 400 and bake another 5 minutes.
- 13Turn off oven and let rolls sit to crisp for another 5 minutes.
- 14Cool at least 20 minutes.
- 15Store rolls in plastic bag.
- 16To recrisp, put into 400 oven for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Bread Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.2
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 5.6 mg
- Sodium 600.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: