Recipe by PaulaG
Source: "Fine Cooking" This is one of my recently adopted recipes. I prepared it and it is wonderful. The end result are rolls with a crispy crust and soft chewy center. I always add wheat gluten when adding the flour. This produces a superior quality of bread so I am including it in the list of ingredients.
Top Review by Rita~
I made half the recipe with no problems. Put all the ingredients into my bread machine on the dough cycle & went to work for 4 hours. Yes I cheated but when a girls got to work(7 days a week) a girl will do whatever it takes. Came home divided it into rolls let rise for 40 minutes. Baked for 20 minutes took out let cool for 5 minutes before everyone attacked them. The aroma was heavenly. The crust was so ever crisp and the inside was soft and warm. YES WONDERFUL COMFORT FOOD!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups water, 70 degrees
- 1 1⁄4 ounces nonfat dry milk powder, 1/2 cup
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons wheat gluten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- black pepper, to taste (I added 1 teaspoon coarse ground.)
- 1 cup rye flour
- coarse salt, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in mixer with water.
- Add melted butter, sugar, dry milk, salt and pepper.
- Whisk to incorporate.
- Add 4 cups of flour and mix with dough hook.
- Add additional flour until dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- Knead dough by hand with a little flour until it is smooth and elastic Let rise in greased bowl, covered for about 2 hours until doubled.
- At this point the dough can be refrigerated overnight or for 2 days.
- Bring to room temperature before shaping.
- Punch down and let rise until doubled again, about 2 hours.
- Shape into 3 oz rolls, let rise covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with rye (or all purpose) flour, slash with lame quite deeply, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 450 for 20-25 minutes (throw 1/4 cup ice water onto bottom of oven as soon as rolls are put in or spray sides of oven with cold water), reduce heat to 400 and bake another 5 minutes.
- Turn off oven and let rolls sit to crisp for another 5 minutes.
- Cool at least 20 minutes.
- Store rolls in plastic bag.
- To recrisp, put into 400 oven for 5 minutes.