Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Pizza slices for those who like tofu, sounds very good, haven't tried this, but saw it in the local newpaper and thought someone out there might enjoy it.
- 1 loaf French bread, large
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, rinsed,patted dry and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450f degrees.
- Cut bread loaf in half widthwise, then each half again lengthwise to create 4 roughly equal pieces.
- Place the bread, cut side up, on a dry baking sheet.
- Place remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender, blend until they form a smooth paste.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the bread.
- Bake until tofu mixture is hot and bread toasted, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut each pizza into individual slices.
This would be great for vegans who can't "do" cheese. Amazingly the creamy topping satisfies the pizza craving even for a cheeseaholic like me. I used ciabatta bread to keep more with an Italian theme and added roasted red peppers, mushrooms and leftover roasted chicken on top so oops, it was no longer vegetarian or a French bread pizza! I would make this again but play with the sauce, adding at least 1/2 tsp cayenne and more tomato paste and definitely cut down the oil, which you can taste.