Recipe by kitchenslave03
This is a Rachael Ray recipe I modified quite a bit to suit our tastes, so feel free to play with it to suit yours. So good, I crave it if we don't have it twice a month. I serve it with homemade pizza sauce.
Top Review by GaylaJ
Wonderful! The only change I made was subbing an orange bell pepper for the red, just to use what I had on hand (although the red would have provided a prettier color contrast). I made this for the Pick A Chef game and we all loved it--thanks for posting the recipe!
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Split bread lengthwise and hollow it out. Cut in half across to make 4 shells.
- Brown sausage in a skillet over medium-high, breaking up large pieces with a spoon.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic; cook 3-5 minutes. Add spinach. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add ricotta and parmesan and combine well. Fill bread shells and top with mounded mozzarella and provolone.
- Bake in hot oven until cheese melts and bubbles and bread is super crisp, about 10-12 minutes.
- Top with oregano and crushed red pepper and serve with marinara.