Recipe by Robyn's Cookin'
These are great to keep in the freezer for quick meals. Healthier than pre-frozen french bread pizzas, and because these are baked from frozen, the bread crusts turn out nice and crispy while the inside remains soft (but surprisingly NOT soggy from the sauce, like I was initially afraid of). The sauce is super quick and easy to make and is derived from a recipe I got from my grandma...I used to eat it with a spoon when I was younger. Note that if you use regular table salt, as opposed to kosher, you should decrease the amount. The pizza toppings listed below are what I use, but of course, you can sub any toppings you like.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
Made these on sub rolls that I cut in half lengthwise. Made topped with all mozz cheese and some with cubed ham/pineapple, plain cheese and also mini pepperonis. Will be a great quick meal to have next month when I have my 3rd baby; will further review/post photos when cooked. Made for My 3 Chefs.
- 2 loaves whole wheat french bread, sliced in half lengthwise and then again width-wise for a total of 8 pieces
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (6 ounce) packagereduced-fat turkey pepperoni
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 large red onion, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups 2% cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARATION DIRECTIONS:.
- Mix together sauce ingredients.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the 8 pieces of bread.
- Distribute pepperoni slices evenly over top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle the bell pepper, onion, and olives on top of pepperoni.
- Finally, sprinkle on the cheeses.
- Wrap each pizza in a double layer of foil, place two pieces each in a gallon-sized ziploc bags, and freeze.
- TO SERVE:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Unwrap desired number of pieces; place pizzas on a cookie sheet (I flatten one of the layers of foil and use it as a liner for the cookie sheet).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.