Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great french bread taste....
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Place first 5 ingredients in your bread machine according to machine directions.
- Start the Dough program on your bread machine.
- When dough is finished, then place on lightly floured surface and roll into large rectangle.
- Roll up tightly starting with the longest edge, press seams to seal and tapering each end.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise until double-- about 40 minutes.
- With a knife, cut 3 diagonal slashes across the loaf.
- Combine glaze ingredients and brush on generously.
- Bake at 400 degrees 20-25 minutes or until done.
So easy and so good! I used my bread machine to make the dough (45 minute quick dough cycle) then divided the dough into 4 pieces and shaped into 4 round balls. Let them rise for one hour on greased foil lined cookie sheet, then baked as stated. It made 4 awesome bread bowls for our clam chowder! Just cut a little off each bowl top when they are done..then press dough inside the bowl to inside of bowl and add chowder. Yum! Great recipe! Thanks!
This bread was far too salty. I would recommend either a plain water glaze or an egg white glaze. I also didn't care for the texture. It is great for dipping in soup, but as a stand-alone bread, I would not recommend it.
The dough turned out perfectly in the bread machine and it was easy to shape. I made two smaller loaves, and the crust was slightly crunchy and the inside was tender and chewy. I will definitely make this again and again.