3 hrs 40 mins
From the Fanny Farmer cookbook. French bread recipe which I use as a non-sweet challah.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons yeast energizer
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed (optional)
- 1Stir the yeast and yeast energizer into warm water; let stand for 5 minutes to dissolve.
- 2Add the sugar, margarine, and 1 Tablespoon salt, and stir well.
- 3Add 2 cups of flour, and beat thoroughly.
- 4Add 3 more cups of flour and mix well.
- 5Knead for a few minutes and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 6Resume kneading, adding the remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky but very smooth and elastic.
- 7Let rise in a warm place until doubled (1-1/2 hours).
- 8Punch down, knead again, and braid into 2-4 challah, depending on size requirements. Optional: While you are braiding, add in the crushed garlic.
- 9Let rise 1/2 hour.
- 10Right before baking, coat with egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds and coarse salt.
- 11Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 35 to 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Bread Challah
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.3
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 758.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: