Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 40 mins
From the Fanny Farmer cookbook. French bread recipe which I use as a non-sweet challah.
Make and share this French Bread Challah recipe from Food.com.
- Stir the yeast and yeast energizer into warm water; let stand for 5 minutes to dissolve.
- Add the sugar, margarine, and 1 Tablespoon salt, and stir well.
- Add 2 cups of flour, and beat thoroughly.
- Add 3 more cups of flour and mix well.
- Knead for a few minutes and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Resume kneading, adding the remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky but very smooth and elastic.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled (1-1/2 hours).
- Punch down, knead again, and braid into 2-4 challah, depending on size requirements. Optional: While you are braiding, add in the crushed garlic.
- Let rise 1/2 hour.
- Right before baking, coat with egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds and coarse salt.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 35 to 45 minutes.