Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
An easy bread to make - start it mid afternoon and it is ready for dinner.
- 8 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 3 cups warm water
- Sprinkle yeast in 1 cup of the water; dissolve.
- Stir into all other ingredients and blend well.
- At 10 minute intervals, work through dough with a spoon 5 consecutive times (I do this with my hands).
- Turn dough on lightly floured board and divide into 2 balls*; this makes two thicker loaves (more like an Italian bread. For smaller loaves, divide into 3 balls. Let set for 10 minutes, then roll each ball out into rectangles.
- Starting with long side, roll up, jellyroll fashion, then seal edges.
- Place rolls on greased cookie sheets and let rise until almost double in size.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees.