I orginally got this from Taste of Home and changed a couple of things to suit our tastes. I have been using this recipe for many years now. We make this bread anytime we have spaghetti or other pasta dish or soups. I use my bosch mixer for all my bread making - but will post directions for those making this by hand. This bread also makes excellent buns for sandwiches. They freeze well and it's just the right size for lunch boxes!
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water.
- Add sugar, salt, oil and remaining water; stir until dissolved.
- Add flour and stir until smooth. You may need a little extra flour to make a soft but non-sticky dough. Place in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled. Turn to lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each half into a 15 inch chain. (like you would roll playdough for making a snake.).
- Place both rolls on one greased cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- With very sharp knife, make 3 diagonal cuts across the top of each loaf.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool on wire racks.