1/2 Photos of French Bread
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, stir the yeast into lukewarm water and allow to rest for 5 minutes; stir in beaten egg.
- 2Add 2 1/2 cups of whole-wheat hot roll mix until blended; let rest 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in enough of the remaining mix to make a soft dough; knead until smooth, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 4Clean and oil bowl, place dough in bowl, turning to oil all sides.
- 5Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 6Grease a baking sheet, sprinkle with cornmeal and set aside.
- 7Punch down the dough and on a lightly floured surface roll into a 10 inch x 3 inch rectangle.
- 8Roll up firmly jelly-roll fashion, starting with one long side; pinch to seal edges.
- 9Place the rolled loaf on prepared baking sheet, seam-side down.
- 10Make 5 diagonal slashes across top of loaf; brush with water.
- 11Let rise until almost doubled in bulk.
- 12Preheat oven to 375 degrees; brush loaf with water again and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- 13Place a baking pan on lower shelf of oven, pour 1 inch warm water in pan, place the loaf on center rack and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- 14Brush with melted butter; cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.1
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 242.0 mg
- Sodium 160.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat hot roll mix