This recipe uses Whole-Wheat Hot Roll Mix to make quick work of mixing and baking. The recipe is from More Make a Mix Cookbook.
- In a large bowl, stir the yeast into lukewarm water and allow to rest for 5 minutes; stir in beaten egg.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of whole-wheat hot roll mix until blended; let rest 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough of the remaining mix to make a soft dough; knead until smooth, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Clean and oil bowl, place dough in bowl, turning to oil all sides.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Grease a baking sheet, sprinkle with cornmeal and set aside.
- Punch down the dough and on a lightly floured surface roll into a 10 inch x 3 inch rectangle.
- Roll up firmly jelly-roll fashion, starting with one long side; pinch to seal edges.
- Place the rolled loaf on prepared baking sheet, seam-side down.
- Make 5 diagonal slashes across top of loaf; brush with water.
- Let rise until almost doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees; brush loaf with water again and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Place a baking pan on lower shelf of oven, pour 1 inch warm water in pan, place the loaf on center rack and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with melted butter; cool on wire rack.