Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a recipe from a Sunset French Cookbook from 1977 that I still use - it is starting to fall apart. This dish is really good with lamb.
- 1 lb dried small white beans
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 shallots, sliced thin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 8 parsley sprigs
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- Sort through beans, picking out any extraneous materials. Cover beans with hot water and soak overnight. Rinse and drain beans and place in a 4-quart pot.
- Add chicken broth, shallots, bay leaf, thyme, parsley and carrots.
- Cover and bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until beans have a creamy texture when bitten; stir occasionally.
- Discard parsley and salt to taste.
- Prep time does not include over night soak.