Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Yogurt cheese is a wonderful way to reduce calories and fat. This recipe makes a delicious and creamy low-fat dessert. I used Graham Cracker Tart Crust for the tart crust. The longest amount of time is in straining the yogurt to make the cheese. In place of the vanilla yogurt, you can use a 32 container of plain lowfat yogurt and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. The powdered sugar in the recipe might need to be increased to 1/3 cup depending on taste.
- 32 ounces low-fat vanilla yogurt, without added gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (9 inch) prepared sweet tart crust
- Place a yogurt strainer or a mesh strainer lined with a fine cheesecloth or coffee filter over a jar to catch the whey and place the yogurt into the prepared strainer; place the jar(s) in the refrigerator and allow to drain for 24 hours.
- Prepare the tart shell as directed and allow to cool.
- While cooling, prepare the blueberry topping by placing half the blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, cornstarch, sugar and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thickened and clear; stir in the remaining berries; set aside and allow to cool until it just warm to the touch.
- Place the strained yogurt in a medium mixing bowl, whisk in powdered sugar.
- Spoon the sweetened yogurt into the cooled tar shell and top with blueberry topping.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to sit until thoroughly chilled.
This is a very good tart. Everyone loved it. I drained the yogurt in a cheesecloth lined colander overnight in the fridge. The end result is a tart that's good enough for company and does not taste as though it's low fat.
Delicious. The yogurt trick is a great one, i thought it would be more problematic but it was perfect. Saw a show on FNC that suggested using a clean cotton pillow case to drain things from yogurt to fruit so i used that, knotting it over my cupboard handle. took 6 hours to drain completely. Flavors were excellent and will use this as a sub for other cheeses when needed in desserts. Thanks so much. my pic is lousy, my apologies.