Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My mother-in-law got this recipe from a community school cookbook. It's so simple and all of my frinds make it now. Once you taste it you'll be sharing it with all of your friends.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, cut in large chunks
- 4 carrots, cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes, cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup tomato juice (V-8 recomended)
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine (burgundy recommended, or omit wine and use 1 cup water)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Mix together all ingredients, except potatoes, in a large Dutch oven casserole; cover and cook for 3 hours.
- Add potatoes and cook for additional 1 hour.
Good stew...it has a "easy" and light flavor. Perfect with a crusty bread or cheese sandwich. I did this in the slow cooker.