Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
When it comes to this thick down-home stew, let your slow cooker do the work.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the potatoes in a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with the beef, carrots, onions and celery.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until vegetables and beef are tender.
I have been making this for several years, since finding it on the Taste of Home website. It is thick and tasty. I replace half the water with red wine.
I have made this for years, but I add red wine instead of the water...the smell is wonderful.