Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posted for RecipeZaar World Tour 2006. ZWT REGION: France.
- 700 g French beans (1 1/2 lb)
- 25 g butter (1 oz)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 ml paprika (1 teaspoon)
- 150 ml chicken stock (1/4 pint)
- 145 ml sour cream (5 oz)
- Cut the " tops" and "tails" off the beans and cut them into 2.5 cm ( 1 inch) lengths.
- Melt the butter in the pan and saute the onion gently for several minutes until soft and golden but not brown.
- Add half of the paprika, the beans, stock, salt and pepper, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes until the beans are tender.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the sour cream, return pan to the heat and reheat without boiling.
- Transfer to a serving dish and and dust the top with the remaining paprika.
I loved the combination of the paprika and sour cream in this dish. I used Weight Watchers creme fraiche as it's low in points and the two worked really well together. I'd probably use more paprika next time but that's personal taste! A really lovely way to vary green beans- thanks!
My picky 6 and 3 year old sons don't like a lot of foods, and green beans is one of them. I thought by trying this jazzed up version that I might have success. Both ate them, not as happily as I would have liked, but they did eat them! DH liked them, and I did as well. The sauce makes me think of a paprikash, just not as thick. It was a tasty combination that I'm glad to have enjoyed! Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT3.
Most days I happily steam my veggies and eat them unadorned, but sometimes I want a little more without lots of added kitchen time and/or calories. These accomplished both and were delicious. I used frozen beans that were fully defrosted before using which reduced my initial cooking time a wee bit. I also used a combination of reduced and nonfat sour cream -- which makes the sauce a wee bit thinner but I'm used to that. Just adding the onions and paprika gave the beans a great flavor and the sour cream made them luxurious. Yummy. Thanks kiwidutch!