Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
It might take a while but its pretty tasty, and its worth a try.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb stewing beef, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 lb tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups French beans, trimmed and halved
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the Rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, soaked in salted water for 2 hours
- 7 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 saffron strands, soaken in
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- Melt the butter or margarine in a large saucepan.
- and fry the onion until golden. Add the beef and fry until evenly browned, then add the garlic, spices, tomatoes, tomato puree and water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add the French beans and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes until the meat is tender and most of the meat juices have evaporated.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice. Drain, then boil it in salted water for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until it is half-cooked. Drain, and rinse the rice in warm water. Wash and dry the saucepan.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the melted butter in the pan and stir in about a third of the rice. Spoon half of hte meat mixture over the rice, add a layer of rice, then the remaining meat and finish with another layer of rice.
- Pour the remaining melted butter over the rice and cover the pan with a clean dish towel. Secure with the lid and then steam the rice for 30-40 minutes over low heat.
- Take 3 tbsp of cooked rice from the pan and mix with the saffrom water. Serve the cooked rice and beef on a large dish and sprinkle the saffron rice on top.