Julie in TX's Note:
I get lots of requests to "bring your squash dish" to different gatherings. I first tasted this dish at Luby's Cafeteria. It was published in their 50th Anniversary cookbook and I have adapted it to my taste. The original recipe calls for pimento or red sweet peppers instead of green chilis. I'm allergic to bell peppers so I found a substitute. You could also use seeded, chopped fresh tomatoes for a different taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat Oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In medium saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil.
- 3Add the sliced squash and zucchini and cook until tender-crisp.
- 4Drain the liquid from the squash.
- 5Cook the bacon until it is crisp in a 10-inch skillet.
- 6Remove the bacon from the skillet and reserve.
- 7Add chopped onion to bacon drippings.
- 8Saute until onion is transparent.
- 9Drain off the bacon drippings and add the reserved bacon, soup, green chilis, salt and pepper.
- 10Mix well.
- 11Remove from the heat.
- 12Fold in the squash and transfer to a buttered 2 quart baking dish.
- 13Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- 14Remove the cover and sprinkle the top with cheese.
- 15Place it under the broiler to lightly brown the cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Baked Zucchini and Yellow Squash
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.7
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.3 mg
- Sodium 752.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 5.7 g