Recipe by Maki Catta
I am a French exchange student living in Australia for 2006-07. I had to cook tonight and wanted to make something with chicken, mushroom, cream and white wine. My host mum, Chef #239758, helped me some and here is the result. This is my first recipe on Zaar.
Top Review by Susie D
I deboned chicken breasts and cut into thin strips to make this recipe rather than using pieces of chicken. I ended up with lots of sauce and in the future would reduce the amount. That said, the mustardy cream sauce is excellent. It has a lot of flavor and went well with the egg noodles. Thank you for sharing your recipe! *reviewed for Spring 2007 Pick A Chef*
- 1 1⁄2 kg whole chickens, cut into 10-12 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or more)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced sort of thinly
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (or more)
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Centigrade.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- While the butter and oil are heating, put cut-up chicken, flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag, and shake well to coat chicken.
- Brown chicken pieces in hot oil and butter for 5 minutes on each side. You'll probably need to do this in two batches.
- Put browned chicken in an ovenproof dish and put in the heated oven to finish cooking while you make the rest of the recipe. The chicken needs 10-20 minutes in the oven. Check that juices run clear.
- Reheat the oil and butter.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the now hot oil and butter.
- When onions and mushrooms are well softened and tender, stir in the cream, wine, mustard, peppercorns and cooked chicken pieces.
- Heat to boiling, then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.