- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cloves
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (e.g. Hershey's)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Heat applesauce and oil slightly in microwave and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.
- (Can also be baked in a bundt pan at 325* for 45 minutes. Cool in pan for about 20 minutes, then turn out and cool on rack.) Can be eaten as is, or dust with powdered sugar or frost with your favorite buttercream or cream cheese frosting.