Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm not sure what's French about this cake, exactly, but it's spicy and moist. It's also egg and dairy free and fairly low fat.
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Heat applesauce and oil slightly in microwave and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.
- (Can also be baked in a bundt pan at 325* for 45 minutes. Cool in pan for about 20 minutes, then turn out and cool on rack.) Can be eaten as is, or dust with powdered sugar or frost with your favorite buttercream or cream cheese frosting.
This was tasty. I made it as a bunt cake. I needed to cook for 55 minuets rather then the 45 at 325.
This is a good cake but I'm not quite sure how to rate it. It tasted very good when i ate it in thin slices with butter spread on it like a bread. Definitely more of a spice cake not really for people with a high sweet tooth.
I used fresh-ground cloves and nutmeg, so I sifted the dry ingredients to insure good mixing and to filter larger chunks of those spices. This was a replacement for the Moosewood Applesauce Carrot Cake, which broke apart when I took it out of the pan. This one is delicious. If you are going to sprinkle powdered sugar on it, wait until just before serving; otherwise the sugar is absorbed and becomes invisible.