1/2 Photos of French Apple Tart
1 hr 30 mins
The original version of this tart recipe is printed in the Children's World Cookbook but the instructions asked for an ingredient not listed in the ingredient list so I have had to combine my own tart making experience with this recipe & this is the result. :) Prep time includes refrigerator time so actual prep may be less than posted. Posted for ZWT-5.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 158.51 ml flour
- 78.07 ml butter, chilled & cut into small pieces
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 14.79-29.58 ml cold water
- 453.59 g cooking apple
- 14.79 ml butter
- 29.58-59.16 ml sugar (to taste or depending on your choice of apple)
- 2.46 ml lemon zest
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 1Sift flour into a large mixing bowl.
- 2Add chilled pieces of butter and rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- 3Add the 2 Tablespoons of sugar.
- 4Mix in the beaten egg yolk and enough of the 1-2 Tablespoons of cold water to make a ball of dough. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5Preheat oven to 400°.
- 6Peel, core and slice the cooking apples.
- 7In large skillet melt the 1 Tablespoon of butter and stir in sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon.
- 8Add the sliced apples and saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 7-10 minutes, or until the apples are soft.
- 9Gently mash the apples with the back of a spatula or spoon and continue to cook and stir til most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- 10Roll dough int a big circle, about 1 inch thick, on a floured board.
- 11Line an 8 inch tart pan with the pastry. Prick it with a fork and trim the edges with a knife. Bake for 10 minutes.
- 12Spoon the cooked apple into the pastry shell.
- 13Slice the eating apples and arrange them in circkles on top of the cooked apple.
- 14Mix the apricot preserves with the hot water and brush over the sliced apples to glaze them.
- 15Bake tart for 30 minutes.
- 16Serve slices of tart either hot or cold with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Apple Tart
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.2
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 63.6 mg
- Sodium 92.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 25.9 g
- Protein 2.4 g