Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This recipe comes from a July 1986 issue of Bon Appetit magazine and was featured in a Bastille Day Picnic in the "Cooking for Friends" section. For transporting the cake to the picnic (or to a friend's barbeque) put the cake back into its springform ring.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (or more)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 10-inch springform pan.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat eggs with 1 cup sugar until pale yellow and slowly disolving ribbon forms when beaters are lifted.
- Combine 1 1/2 cup pecans, crumbs,baking powder and salt and fold into egg mixture; do not overmix.
- Fold in apple,lemon peel and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Pour into prepared pan, smoothing top with rubber statula.
- Bake until tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack; remove springform.
- Combine powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons lemon juice in small bowl and stir to combine.
- Add more lemon juice if necessary for proper drizzling consistancy.
- Spoon glaze over cake and sprinkle with the 1/4 cup of pecans.