Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
It all about the APPLES
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 4 ounces butter flavor shortening, chilled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 5 -6 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced (To make a 9 inch apple pie, use 6-8 medium apples. )
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 2⁄3 cups apple cider, reduced (see * below)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup golden raisin, seedless raisins. soak in
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider (about 4 hours or overnight mix untill raisins are plunp. or Combine raisins and cider in a small mic)
- 2 2⁄3 cups apple cider (*reduced to about 2/3 cup)
- TIP:( Use your favorite baking apples a combination of Granny Smiths (for their tart flavor and crisp texture) and Cortlands (for their sweetness and softer texture) is nice. Northern Spies or Ginger Golds are wonderful, if you can get them. ).
- For the filling*: Bring the apple cider to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat about 20 minutes, until reduced to about 2/3 cup.
- For Crust:.
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar, cinnamon in a food processor. Add the butter and shortening, and pulse until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water to the flour mixture. With the machine running, add additional water, a tablespoon at a time, until clumps form. Mold the dough into two balls, shape into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining dough into a 13-inch round. Roll it up on the rolling pin and unroll it on the top of the pie. Trim the edges, leaving a 1-inch rim of dough. Fold that under and crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork. Slit the top crust with a knife a few times to let the steam escape. Or you can use a refigerated pie crust mix from the store.
- This pie crust is a lot easier to roll after it has chilled for two hours. It then absorbs less flour when rolled. The lemon juice will tenderize the gluten while baking--there is no need for any special precaution in rolling. The large circle of dough can be easily manipulated into the pan by first folding it in four, and then unfolding right in the pan, where the pan provides support. Your recipe directs the filling to be cooked and added to the rolled dough without saying anything about any cooling time. Using a hot filling makes the pastry get soggy in the oven.
- For the filling: Ingredients:.
- TIP:( Use your favorite baking apples — a combination of Granny Smiths (for their tart flavor and crisp texture) and Cortlands (for their sweetness and softer texture) is nice. Northern Spies or Ginger Golds are wonderful, if you can get them. ).
- 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- 2 2/3 cups apple cider reduced * see below.
- 1 to 1-1/2 cup golden raisins seedless raisins soak in about 1/3 cup apple cider about 4 hours or overnight mix untill raisins are plunp. or Combine raisins and cider in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 1 minute or so until raisins are plump. Set aside.
- *2 2/3 cups apple cider (reduced to about 2/3 cup) For the filling:.
- Bring the apple cider to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat about 20 minutes, until reduced to about 2/3 cup.
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- 2. Combine 1/4 cup butter, white sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda, flour, cider raisins, apples, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and I Add a little lemon juice to enhance their flavor. in the order given. and add the apple cider (reduced to about 2/3 cup) in a bowl mix will, Pour into pie pan.
- 3. The remaining dough, Roll it up on the rolling pin and unroll it on the top of the pie. Trim the edges, Slit the top crust with a knife a few times to let the steam escape.
- Cover the rim of the crust with foil if it darkens too quickly.
- And my only suggestion here, is to put it on a foil-covered baking sheet may bubbled over the side of the pie plate.
- 4. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- 5. Cool on a wire rack after cool put it in the refrigerate for about 25-30 minute.
- 6. Ensure the pie is very cool before the glaze is drizzled on. Put it back in the refrigerate so the glaze set up, Now serving time.
- To make frosting Glaze:.
- Vanilla Glaze Yield:1 cup " This is Great on Apple Cookies! as will".
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons milk.
- 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1 teaspoon butter.
- 1. Melt the butter and add to rest of ingredients. Mix until creamy.
- I found the glaze a too thick- albeit pretty- when I added the minimal amount of milk. After switching it to tablespoons, it turned out a nice glaze consistency. I also added a teaspoon of cinnamon and poured it over pie.
- NOTE: Golden Delicious apples ARE Not related to Red Delicious, they are Best for snacking and in salads. They are poor as a baking apples.