2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In 'Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 apples (preferably a tart variety)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1To make raisin filling-combine the raisins, water, and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Bring to a boil, then decrease heat to med-low and cook, stirring occasionally until the raisins are plump, about 15 minutes.
- 3Separately; combine the corn syrup, flour, and sugar; mix well, then add to the raisins and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- 4Remove from the heat and cool until the mixture is just warm, about 10-15 minutes.
- 5Preheat the oven to 400°; line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 rolled-out crust.
- 6Peel the apples, cut them into thin wedges, and put them in a large bowl.
- 7Separately, combine the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch, then add to the apples and gently stir until evenly mixed. Spread the apple mixture in the crust in an even layer, then spread the raisin filling evenly over the apples.
- 8Brush the rim of the crust with water, cover with the second rolled-out crust, seal and flute or crimp the edges, and cut a steam vent in the center.
- 9Bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown.
- 10Cool on a wire rack for 1-2 hours, until completely cool.
- 11To make the icing-combine the sugar and water; mix well.
- 12Add the butter and mix until smooth.
- 13Brush over the top of the cooled pie before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.3
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 267.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 49.4 g
- Protein 3.4 g