Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sweet and rich!
Make and share this French Apple or Peach Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Grease a deep 8" pan or ovenproof dish -- and cover the bottom well with the apples.
- Sprinkle the fruit with 2/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and the juice and zest of the lemon.
- Lightly mix in 1 tbsp flour. Set aside.
- Sift flour. Resift with sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Beat and add the egg yolks, melted butter and milk.
- Beat these ingredients with swift strokes until blended.
- Cover the fruit with the batter.
- Bake the cake for about 30 minutes.
- Reverse it on a platter. Cool slightly.
- Use the egg whites for a meringue if desired.
This is a cobbler like cake that went together easily and was very tasty. I made several changes but still kept to the concept of the recipe. I used a combination of frozen raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. I reduced the sugar by half in the berries and sprinkled them with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. A whole cup of sugar would have been way too sweet. I used the juice from only half a small lemon and it was still quite noticable I would reduce it further. In the cake I cut the sugar to 1/3 cup we liked that level of sweetness - though I think the 1/2 cup would be fine too. I added 1 tsp vanilla and a 1/2 tsp almond extract - I would increase the almond next time especially if making a peach cake. Without the flavorings this would have been very bland. The cake has a slightly course texture that was fine with the berries - DH thought it might have been too dry if I'd used the apples. I served it with lightly sweetened whipped cream. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe, I will be trying it again with other fruit. MAde for ZWT5 for the Cooks With Dirty Faces.
Beautiful, served warm !! I used a combination of apples and pears with a great result. Easy to do as well ! Made for ZWT5.