Recipe by Pugsley53
This is an unusual dessert that's like a traditional baked apple pie, but the only baking is for the cheesecake topping. Not what you would expect, but very tasty. We got this at a recipe shower when we were first married and it's become a family favorite.
- 9 inches pie crusts (baked)
- 4 large apples
- 1 teaspoon orange peel (finely grated)
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup almonds (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core apples.
- Slice apples 1/2" thick to make 4 cups.
- In 3 quart saucepan combine 1/2 t Orange peel, orange juice, butter, 2/3 C sugar and spices.
- Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add apples,and cook until translucent.
- Blend water and cornstatch and add to apples.
- Cook until boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and cool.
- Whip cream cheese until fluffy and gradually beat in 1/3 C sugar and remaining orange peel.
- Beat in the egg.
- Turn cooled filling into baked crust.
- Spoon whipped cheese mixture evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle almonds and coconut over cheese.
- Bake @350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until set and lightly browned.
- Cool and Chill before serving.