Recipe by That is Dr House to you
IF you do not press the tofu or use the right type it won't brown. To make the texture a bit more 'meaty' simply freeze the tofu first then drain and press after thawing. If you like you can marinate it in whatever you choose for several hours.
- 7 ounces firm tofu
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sliced marinated mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup radish sprouts
Directions See How It's Made
- Use waterpacked tofu and it should be well drained [that means press it dear] and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
- Preheat a broiler and place tofu on foil lined pan broiling 4 inches from heat until browned. About 2 to 3 minutes a side. This is why you had to press it.
- Sprinkle tomato with oil, salt and pepper.
- Combine the mayo and rosemary.
- Assemble the sandwiches by arranging bread on tray. Spread pesto on half. Spread mayo on other half. Layer the tofu, tomatoes, mushrooms and sprouts on the pesto half.
- Top with mayo half. Cut crosswise.