Recipe by MomLuvs6
Fregola is a Sardinia pasta that is toasted with a nutty flavor. Lardo is a type of salume (Italian charcuterie) made by curing strips of fatback with rosemary and other herbs and spices. From SFGATE.com ZWT7
- 2 ounces pancetta, minced (recipe calls for 2 ounces of lardo or the pancetta)
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
- 1 quart water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup fregola pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Put lardo or pancetta and olive oil in a pot. If using pancetta use 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cook over low heat until the fat is render out and meat is crisp.
- Add onion, celery, garlic and parsley. Cook for 15 minutes until soft.
- Add water and potatoes, bring to a gently simmer, add salt and pepper . Cook potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add fregola pasta, partkt cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until fregola is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.