Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my sister-in-law. I have always thought there was no way to freeze either carrots or green beans to have them taste good. Well I was wrong and I didn't believe until I tasted hers. Just like fresh from the garden or very very close to it. I have done both but mostly I just do beans this way.
- Place all of the above ingredients into a large roaster.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Vegetables will be crisp when done.
- Cool slightly.
- Fit colander in large bowl.
- Pour vegetables and brine into colander.
- DO NOT THROW OUT BRINE.
- Place vegetables in freezer bags, (as many cups to suit your family).
- Divide brine among bags.
- Close bags. (I try to remove as much air as possible before closing).
- Cool completely.
- TO PREPARE: Tear open bag, place in pot. Simmer on very low heat until completely thawed. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Pour off brine, no need to add anymore butter or salt.
- NOTE: To remove air from the bag, I use an ordinary straw to suck air from the bag, holding bag tight around the straw. Twist bag then attach twist tie.