Recipe by Nana in the woods
A great sauce for all those tomatoes you don't know what to do with. Plus if you put it in freezer bags it takes up very little room in your freezer and great tasting.
Top Review by hope9393
It made a very thin spaghetti sauce but was a good way to use up lots of tomatoes. This would be 5 stars if you increase the spices because it is rather bland. I have to add paste each time I use a new freezer bag. I do plan on using this as a base recipe next canning season.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups chopped tomatoes (with no skins)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine onion, garlic, green pepper and vegetable oil in pan. Cook until onion is transparent.
- In large pot add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, sugar, salt, pepper and tomato paste. Cook for 2-3 hours on low heat stirring frequently.
- Let sauce cool. Pour sauce into quart size containers or freezer bags. Store in freezer.
- Note: You may add hamburger, mushrooms etc. when preparing the sauce to eat.