Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe I came up with to use the abundance of our garden's tomato supply. Our family loves this chunky spaghetti sauce!
- 30 lbs tomatoes (fully ripe, peeled, and chopped)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (fresh, chopped)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet basil (dried and crushed)
- 4 tablespoons oregano (dried and crushed)
- 2 tablespoons marjoram (dried and crushed)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram (dried and crushed)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Saute onions, garlic, celery, peppers, and mushrooms in vegetable oil until tender.
- Combine sauteed vegetables with tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered until thickened to your liking (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
- Stir often to prevent sticking.
- Ladle into clean quart jars, leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles, wipe jar rims, and cap with properly preteated lids.
- When jars have cooled to room temperature, freeze.
Use extra-virgin olive oil rather than vegetable oil. It will really make a big difference... Alan Leonetti