Recipe by Denise in da Kitchen
With one DD commuting to college and the other one catching an early bus to high school, I've tried to come up with quick, tasty, on-the-go breakfasts. O.K., so bagels and muffins are good sometimes, but I wanted them to have a healthy meal. This is a combination of 3 different recipes that I have tweeked so that the girls will actually eat them! (Cooking time is for reheating in the microwave)
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
These are great breakfast burritos, wonderful flavor. I cut the recipe in half and didn't freeze any this time, other than that I made as written. Next time I'll add a can of diced potatoes. *Made for Fall 2008 My 3 Chefs* Thanks!
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) packages flour tortillas
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry sausage; crumble and drain on paper towels.
- Reserve 1- 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Beat eggs, salt and pepper and add to reserved drippings.
- Add sausage, onion, red and green peppers, and cook with the eggs.
- Put 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sausage-egg mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Fold bottom and sides of tortilla over filling.
- Place seam side down on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam or lined with parchment paper.
- Place pan in freezer overnight or until solid.
- Wrap individual frozen burritos in waxed paper and then in aluminum foil.
- Place in freezer bags and store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- TO USE FROZEN BURRITOS:.
- Remove foil.
- Place a waxed paper-wrapped burrito on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Let stand for 20 seconds.
- Add salsa and sour cream if you wish.