Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very handy starter mix for all kinds of recipes...I always keep it handy in my freezer, and use it for recipes calling for ground beef...it sure saves a lot of time, as you don't have to start to fry ground beef, and the onions and garlic are already in it, a real time-saver! You can add in 2 cups crushed or diced tomatoes also if desired.
- 4 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup oil (optional)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional, but good to add in)
- In a x-large Dutch oven, cook ground beef, onions, celery and garlic over medium heat in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in tomato paste and mushrooms; mix to combine, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; mix well, cover and simmer for about 30-40 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, the freeze mixture in 2-cup portions in plastic freezer containers.
- May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in the refrigerator or in the microwave before using.