Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is very handy to have ready in the freezer if you do a lot of baking. Of coarse, this mix may be refrigerated until ready to use, but it will keep almost indefinitely in the freezer.
- 2 cups walnuts
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup very cold butter (cut into 16 chunks)
- In a bowl of a food processor, place the walnuts, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla; pulse briefly to combine.
- Add in the COLD butter chunks; process to make a coarse crumble mixture.
- Freeze in a covered freezer container, or a ziploc freezer bag, and remove as needed.
What a great idea and recipe! It would be a real time-saver when making muffins, coffee cakes, sweet potato casseroles, etc. Thanks so much for posting - you've done it again, Kittencal.
I usually have a batch of Healthy Bran Muffin mix (#114718) in my fridge; I now have a batch of your streusel mix in my freezer. These 2 mixes will be perfect mates for a quick, easy, tasty breakfast or snack. As usual, I used pecans instead of yucky walnuts. Thanx Kitten!
What a fantastic mix! I made up a recipe of this and stuck it in my freezer to use for recipes like muffins and cakes, brilliant idea KITTENCAL! and really great streusel too!