Recipe by Olha
Canned chickpeas or beans add lots of texture and nutrients to this “whole meal” soup that makes good use of some of Sunday’s leftover roast chicken. Don’t let the rather long ingredient list put you off; the soup is quick and easy to make. The soup can be made and refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days ahead or frozen for up to 3 months.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, 540 ml
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas (540 mL) or 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans (540 mL) or 1 (19 ounce) can romano beans, rinsed and drained (540 mL)
- 4 ounces cut fresh green beans or 4 ounces frozen green beans
- 1 cup macaroni or 1 cup any small shell pasta
- salt and pepper
AFTER FREEZING or Before SERVING
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoons drippings from the pan. Add celery, onion, carrot and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, breaking up with the back of a spoon. Add chicken stock, sage and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, green beans, chicken and macaroni; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the macaroni is tender but firm. Return cooked bacon to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If freezing soup, see “to freeze” section below; otherwise proceed with Step 4.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Serves 4.
- TO FREEZE: Let soup cool. Ladle into freezer containers, leaving headspace. Seal, label and date. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- TO SERVE: Thaw soup in microwave or in refrigerator overnight. Heat in a saucepan until hot. Proceed with Step 4, above.
- Quick Chicken.