Recipe by Cookin-jo
I love to double this recipe and freeze it in small containers or bags to have on hand. Combine this with a bread machine pizza dough recipe and homemade pizza is a breeze.
Top Review by i8ntproverbs31
I used this as a springboard... Tripled it, used some different types of canned tomatoes (crushed, diced, and stewed) Honey instead of suger...I didn;t triple the salt, and it is probably b/c of the stewed tomatoes but it is very salty! Still though this is the beginning of a beautiful thing...thank you so much for sharing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano or 3⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until just soft, not browning.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes, or until sauce is desired consistency.
- Use a stick blender or food processor if you prefer a smooth consistency.