Recipe by Dancer^
I made this for the first time last year, they turned out great, going to double the batch this year.
- 5 lbs pickling cucumbers (3" to 5" long)
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 2 cups thawed frozen pearl onions
- 2 medium sweet green peppers or 2 medium red peppers, cut 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups apple cider or 2 cups apple cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash cucumbers.
- Slice 1/16-inch off the blossom end.
- Cut cucumbers into 1-inch cubes.
- Measure 12 cups.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, water and pickling salt, mix well.
- Cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse well.
- In an 8 to 10-quart saucepot, combine cucumbers, onions and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Immediately fill freezer containers with mixture, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Wipe container rims and seal.
- Cool completely before placing in freezer.
- Pickles can be stored in freezer up to 6 months.